"There can be no more important subject than English. It is at the heart of our culture and literacy skills are crucial to pupils' learning of all subjects."
- Sir Michael Wilshaw, Head of OFSTED
At Grove Tutors, we have a range of English tutors who specialise in primary level, 7+, 11+, 13+, KS3, GCSE and A-Level.
Whether your son or daughter is looking to improve a specific aspect of English, develop confidence or prepare for an exam, we can help.
The classroom environment can be a daunting one for a child at primary school. One-to-one English tuition provides personalised support to build a child’s confidence in the core areas of reading, phonics and grammar, so that they can be more confident in the classroom. A private tutor can address specific problem areas, and provide the individual attention that a younger child requires.
7+, 11+ and 13+ Common Entrance Exams
A private tutor can assist your son or daughter with the transition from primary to secondary school. Comprehension, grammar and creative writing are thoroughly tested at Common Entrance. Our English tutors understand what schools are looking for and will revise techniques for exam preparation.
For entrance to independent schools, we recommend resources from Galore Park for targeted exam practice.
In Year 7, 8 and 9, the aim is to build on the foundations laid at primary level. Students must have a solid foundation in reading and writing, as well as the necessary strategies in place to perform well at GCSE. An English tutor will be able to target any specific areas that need improvement in advance of Year 10 and 11.
GCSE and A-Level English
Our GCSE tutors and A-Level tutors are well placed to help with English Language and English Literature. At this stage, students are required to develop their own ideas and opinions. English tuition at GCSE and A-Level may include poetry analysis end exam technique to help the student fulfil his or her potential.
Our English tutors are familiar with the requirements of the different exam boards AQA, CIE, Edexcel, OCR and WJEC.
What are the benefits of booking an English tutor?
- An English tutor will tailor tuition to the individual’s ability and make sure that tuition is provided at the right pace for the student.
- An English tutor can make sure that lessons are both engaging and enjoyable. An English tutor can help to unlock the difficulties of English and encourage a love of reading outside the classroom.
- An English tutor can develop a student’s confidence one step at a time to improve confidence and self-esteem. This process can have a knock-on effect for other subjects and overall performance at school.
- A pass in GCSE English is a requirement for further education and job applications in the future.
- Private tuition complements the curriculum and provides a different perspective. This allows the student time to explore ideas and themes to a deeper level.
- Revision methods and study skills are a key part of private tuition especially for GCSE English and A-Level English.
To book an English tutor with Grove Tutors, please call us on 0208 123 9050 or submit our Contact Form.